Sticky Jamaican Ginger Cake
McVities Jamaican Ginger Cake was a childhood winter treat - usually served with a bowlful of hot custard. This version is even more delicious with stem ginger and a sticky ginger glaze to intensify the flavour.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hr
Total time: 1hr 15mins
Yield: 1 x 2lb loaf
- 200g plain flour
- 3.5 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 80g stem ginger, chopped
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 125ml full fat milk
- 85g black treacle
- 85g golden syrup
- 85g dark muscavado syrup
- 85g salted butter
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp syrup from stem ginger jar
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Sift the flour and spices into a bowl. Add the stem ginger and toss to coat (to stop the pieces sinking to the bottom when you bake).
- Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the milk in a separate bowl.
- Heat the treacle, golden syrup, sugar, salt and butter over a low heat, stirring regularly, until melted.
- Add this to the flour and beat vigourously until smooth. Beat in the egg and then whisk in the milk until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour into a greased and lined 2lb (900g) loaf tin and bake for 1 hr - covering with foil for the last 30 minutes to prevent over browning.
- Remove from the oven and brush with the ginger syrup to glaze.
- Leave in the tin for 24hrs for the flavours to develop (optional).