Pasta with slow-cooked sausage
A great way to feed 4 hungry people with just 6 sausages - and it tastes delicious too. This recipe was inspired by the River Cafe's "Penne con Sugo di Salsiccie", which is as good a reason as any to add it to your favourites!
- 25g unsalted butter
- 6 good quality pork sausages
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 150ml red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 100ml double cream
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated (plus extra to serve)
1. Melt the butter in a large pan and cook the sausage meat, stirring to break up the meat, for 5 minutes. 2. Add the onions, garlic, rosemary, chilli and fennel seeds and cook over a medium heat for 30 minutes, being sure to keep stirring so that nothing burns.3. Add the red wine and reduce to a glaze, then stir in the tomato puree and cook for another minute.4. pour in the tinned tomatoes, bring to a simmer, and leave to cook for another hour.5. Stir in the cream and parmesan, season well, and serve with your favourite pasta (penne or farfalle work well) and a sprinkle of parmesan.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Serves 4