Poached peaches with cherries
Sometimes simple is best, and it really doesn't get any simpler than ripe peaches poached in a white wine syrup with creme fraiche and plump cherries.
- 100g caster sugar
- 500ml water
- 175ml white wine
- 3 large pieces of orange peel removed with a speed peeler
- 3 large pieces of lemon peel removed with a speed peeler
- 4 ripe, white fleshed peaches
- TO SERVE
- creme fraiche
- 12 cherries, halved and stoned
1. Boil the water, wine, sugar and fruit peel for 5 minutes to remove the alcohol and dissolve the sugar.2. Halve the peaches and remove their stones. 3. Reduce the heat so that the syrup is barely bubbling, add the peach halves, cover with a cartouche (scrunch and un-scrunch some baking paper and cover the peaches so that they stay submerged). Poach gently for 10 minutes.4. Remove the paper and allow to cool off of the heat. You can carefully remove the skins if you like, but I prefer to leave them on for texture.5. The peaches can be refrigerated in a little syrup at this point, just bring back to room temperature to serve, or served with a little creme fraiche, some stoned cherries and a spoonful of the syrup.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Serves 4