WILD MUSHROOM SOUP
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 30g dried porcini
- 30g dried mixed wild mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 100g unsalted butter
- 230g closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 500ml warm chicken stock
- Freshly ground salt & pepper
- TO SERVE:
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 porcini mushrooms (ceps), sliced
- Soak the dried porcini and mixed mushrooms separately in 1.5 cups of hot water each until soft (about 20 minutes).
- Drain, keeping the porcini stock to one side, and wash thoroughly to remove any grit. Strain the reserved liquid through a muslin cloth.
- Fry the shallots and garlic in a little of the butter until soft but not coloured (about 5 minutes).
- Add the remaining butter, dried and fresh mushrooms and fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes to soften.
- Add the warmed chicken stock, reserved porcini liquid and 250ml of hot water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly. Blend until smooth.
- Season well and serve with fried porcini, chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.