Luxury Fish Pie
Tiger prawns, smoked haddock, salmon and cod with cheesy mash...my family love this old-school classic and I promise yours will too.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Total time: 90 mins
Yield: Serves 8
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 6 raw tiger prawns, shelled and de-veined (shells reserved)
- 600ml full fat milk
- 150ml double cream
- 2 bay leaves, torn
- 1 clove
- pinch grated nutmeg
- 250g undyed smoked haddock fillet
- 60g unsalted butter
- 2 banana shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 60g plain flour
- 1 lemon, juice and zest (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp anchovy essence
- 1 tbsp english mustard
- 1.5 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 3 tbsp curly leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- 150g cod (or pollock) and 250g salmon fillet skinned and cut into into 1 inch cubes
- 200g frozen peas
- 3 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1 kg maris piper potatoes, peeled
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50ml milk, warmed
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 50g parmesan, grated
- 50g gruyere, grated
- Gently fry the prawn shells in 2tbsp of oil until they turn opaque. Add the milk, cream, bay leaves, clove and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer then add the haddock and poach for 6mins. Transfer the fish to a plate and gently flake. Sieve the poaching liquid and keep to one side.
- Melt the butter and fry the shallots and garlic until soft. Add the flour and cook for a few seconds before adding the reserved poaching liquor. Simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, anchovy essence, mustard, worcestershire sauce, curry powder, parsley and thyme. Fold in the prawns and remaining fish until the prawns are just starting to change colour (remember the pie will be cooked again so do not overcook at this stage). Take off the heat, stir through the frozen peas and chopped eggs and season generously. Transfer to a large oven proof dish and leave to cool slightly (this will make it easier to sit the potato topping on top).
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Boil the potatoes until soft, then mash and beat in the remaining ingredients. Cover the pie and bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.