Squid and chorizo salad
Think salads are boring? Think again with this Spanish inspired classic. Packed with Mediterranean flavours, this is one of my absolute favourites and is a perfect light lunch or dinner party starter. You can buy pre-prepared squid if the thought of preparing it yourself puts you off, but it really isn't that difficult if you're brave enough to try. Smaller squid tend to be more tender and baby squid, if you can get them, are ideal for this recipe. Edible flowers make all summer dishes look beautiful, so please try and find some if you can.
- 3 whole squid (approximately 750g - 800g), or 400g pre-prepared squid rings
- 1 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 120g chorizo, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 160g mixed salad leaves
- edible flowers to garnish (optional)
1. Prepare the squid by pulling the tentacles away from the body - this will remove most of the internal organs at the same time. Remove the quill from inside (it looks like a plastic feather) and pull off the "wings". Scrape away any remaining membrane on the body. This should leave a pure white tube. Slice through one edge, open it out and thoroughly clean the inside. Pat dry and cut into thin slices about 2 inches long.2. For the tentacles, slice just below the eyes and discard everything from the eyes upwards. Remove the "beak" from the centre and slice the remaining tentacles into smaller lengths (about 2 inches). 3. Put the squid, sherry vinegar, lemon juice and red onion into a non-reactive bowl. Stir, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes.4. When you're ready to serve, fry the chorizo over a medium heat until it releases its flavoured oils. Add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes more.5. Finally, add the marinated squid, including any liquid, and the chopped parsley. Turn up the heat and fry for 2 minutes until the squid is cooked through.6. Remove from the heat and use the juices to dress the salad leaves. Serve the chorizo and squid on top and garnish with a few edible flowers.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Serves 4